Monday, May 6, 2013

It's Late

I should go to bed. I'm almost too tired to move, though. I've been working nonstop on Run Like a Mother today and decided to stay up late getting as much done as possible. So now here I sit, very tired, trying to find the will to get off the couch.

Before I go, I wanted to share something that brought tears to my eyes. Maybe it's because I'm exhausted, but it might be because I agree so wholeheartedly with what I'm about to share with you. For some, Mother's Day just plain sucks. My first Mother's Day card came for me right after I was told I was miscarrying Simon (go figure). I tossed the card and should have skipped church that year. Instead I sat there fighting back the sobs as all the mothers stood up around me. Every Mother's Day since then, I've thought a lot about all those women out there who have come to despise the day and I can't help but cringe during church, wondering who there is sitting down with her eyes closed trying to fast forward until all those moms are seated once again. What is a completely normal, benign day for many can be so painful to others for so many reasons.

I think it's a great day to celebrate of course, but it's also a great day to say an extra prayer for those who have a reason to loathe it. Here's what should be said and done in church (and/or in our minds) every year:

__

From The Messy Middle


  1. Do away with the standing. You mean well, but it’s just awkward. Does the woman who had a miscarriage stand? Does the mom whose children ran away stand? Does the single woman who is pregnant stand? A.w.k.w.a.r.d.

1 comment:

  1. Good post...makes you think more about others perspectives. I pray for all the mothers mentioned!

    AG

    ReplyDelete