Thursday, May 31, 2012

Stranger Danger

I decided to have a chat with Simon about strangers while we were doing the dishes together....

Me: Do you know what a stranger is?
Simon: Someone who you don't know.

What if they try to hold your hand, what would you do?
-I'd kick his butt!! {Said with confidence, excitement and eager anticipation for the opportunity.}

Well, I you should really try to just run away and find mommy or daddy.
-But I would kick his butt first!! I'd punch him. {Punch said with extra power in his voice.}

If he would try to pick you up what would you do?
-I would super squirm!! {Still, so excited and confident about this.}

If someone you don't know tries to pick you up you do whatever you have to do to get down and run away. This is the only time you can ever bite or punch or kick but you just need to get down so you can run.
-I'd bite so hard and beat him up!! {He ignored the running away part entirely; I'm in full blown anxiety mode now.}

Simon, you just need to remember to run away.
-Well if I'm 8 and it's a woman I'd be bigger than her and then I could kick her butt. {He is less animated now. He's seriously considering the age at which he could overtake the inferior sex.}

Okay {stifling a laugh from his previous comment}, well what if the stranger wants to show you his puppy?
-Well, I doooo like puppies! {He glances and me.} But not stranger puppies. {He's visibly disappointed that he can't play with this stranger's puppy, but seems to get that it's a bad idea.}

Ummmm, I think we need to keep this conversation alive. I'm not quite sure he grasps the reality of his own skill set. Thank you Power Rangers and Spiderman for giving my son a false sense of his own heroic abilities. I will now forbid him to watch you and endure more episodes of Dora, Diego, Blues Clues, etc. to help my son see himself as the 4 year old he is.

In the meantime, strangers, watch out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment