Monday, July 18, 2011

Surprises

So far, one of the best parts about parenting has been hearing what Simon has to say and simply watching him learn new things.

Once kids start talking they surprise you every single day - sometimes many times a day - with brand new words. Eventually they have a word for everything. Then they put a couple of words together. Then a few more. Then you think they talk in sentences. Then they actually start talking in sentences. Then they start talking in correct sentences and putting stories together. You don't even realize what they're not saying until they start saying it.

Then there are other surprises, like when you realize they know things but you don't quite know how. Today - as with most days - we had one of those moments, but this one I want to remember. It makes sense that he knew it, but I still freaked out a little.

We were looking at the microwave and I pointed to the stop button and asked him what that word was.

"S...stop!"

I don't know why this surprised me like it did as there are stop signs everywhere, but those are big and red and all caps. This was completely out of context. He read that word. He's surprised me before with a few other words here and there, but not for a long while. I can only assume reading will be like talking...they'll read words, then small sentences, then easy readers and eventually novels. Somewhere in there I will lose track, but I don't have to just yet...

This is just to show that what was once a turtle shell has become a boat :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment