Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mistakes

Pretty much since bringing Cecie home Simon has been having trouble in school on and off. He's pretty much pushed every button he can think of from general attention seeking to spitting to bothering other kids to not listening.

For a while it was working well when he knew he wouldn't get to do anything fun in the afternoon if he misbehaved, including no friends and no tv. Conversely if he was a good boy, we would always make a point of doing something fun in the afternoon. The positive effect this was having seems to have worn off, though.

He's been pushing buttons at home as well. I just erased all of my examples because they are A) better off forgotten and B) are embarrassingly naughty so I prefer not to share all of them. To top it off, here was my conversation with him after I found out about his less than stellar day at school:

Me: Did you spit at school today?
Simon: Uh huh.
Me: Was that a good choice?
Simon: {Said awfully cheerily} No it was not a good choice. I just made a mistake; everyone makes mistakes, right mumma?


Right. If it's a mistake that makes it okay. I forgot. This is one small of what I'm talking about when I say he has an answer for everything.

So now what? Maybe he needs more attention at home. Maybe new rewards and consequences. Maybe it's a stage. Maybe all of the above...all I know is we'll keep trying and hope to see some positive changes that stick.

3 comments:

  1. His comments are so funny!!! Do all 4 year olds really think of this stuff to say?! He cracks me up and it is true Theresa, everyone makes mistakes! Haha :)

    -AG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope whatever you learn about this stage..you'll share with all of us. Good luck. Rr

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'ts so much easier being grandma! I don't have to be the heavy this time around.
    The big picture is that Simon will grow up to be a loving, responsible adult. You're not letting him slide on these naughty moments, that's beautiful parenting. It's not easy.
    He's right:) We all make mistakes! Got to love that little man!
    So are you so impressed with your technologically challened mother? I figured it out.
    I have quite the learning curve.
    Grandmo RoRo

    ReplyDelete