Friday, April 27, 2012

Reading

Since bringing Cecie home, reading with Simon has fallen on the back burner. This is not something I'm proud of; it's just what happened. For the past few days I've been trying to focus more on him in hopes that a little more attention from mom will reduce some of his attention seeking at school, and reading books to him is a really easy way to do this (even if I have to tend to Cecilia at the same time).

So we're back on the book train.

Something I've been meaning to blog about for a while is that Simon has this weird habit of forcing one specific reading position on us. It looks something like this:


Notice his head is under Bryan's chin. This has been a requirement for Simon since little on...he just loves to have Mom or Dad's chin resting on top of his head while we read to him. If I try to put my head to the side of his, he will always take his head and move it under my chin. Every time.

I'm writing in the present tense, but really it's become a thing of the past very recently. This position is just not feasible anymore. We can't get quite comfortable with him on my lap and he is forced to sit next to me. I normally don't spend too much time feeling sad about him getting older, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

I can no longer read to my son while he's on my lap, and I can definitely no longer do it with his big old head resting under my chin. This little quirk of his is no longer a thing. I'm going to go cry now. Or maybe go snuggle with him...

0 comments:

Post a Comment