Friday, June 8, 2012

Once upon a toddler

Yesterday at book club the girls and I were talking about having toddlers. Now that my oldest is 4 and a half he can't really be considered a toddler anymore, and most of the nonsense that comes along with having a toddler has faded tremendously over the past year or so. It's to the point where I almost can't remember him ever really being a handful and I'm semi-convinced that we'll skate through Cecilia's toddler years with ease (I know, I can dream).


My overall memories of Simon as a 1, 2 and 3 year old are wonderful. He was (is) funny, creative and sweet, even if he was a little stubborn.


If I think really hard, though, I can remember that bedtime was a bitch, shopping was terrifying, leaving anywhere remotely fun literally made me sweat (from having to chase and wrestle him), going out to dinner was impossible and refusing to share with his friends seemed like his favorite pastime.



Then in the blink of an eye, bedtime got easier, shopping became manageable, leaving somewhere stopped resulting in me feeling like I just ran a mile, going out to dinner ceased to faze me and sharing? Well, I suppose he is better at that too. He's by no means an angel and we still see meltdowns and whining and lying and screaming and ignoring and downright naughtiness. It's just that now, those moments don't come around as often and don't last as long when they do.



It seems like all of a sudden he is starting 4 year old kindergarten and I can't help but wonder where the hell the time went. I'll always look back at these years and think of him as a pure joy and all I'll have to remember the craziness of his toddlerhood is this blog, because just like the pain of birthing him, it just doesn't seem all the bad when it's in the past.

If you're interested, here is proof of some of the memories I'd have blocked, but thanks to blogging I can relive them :)


http://becauseiwanttorememberitall.blogspot.com/2011/04/ugh.html
http://becauseiwanttorememberitall.blogspot.com/2011/06/holy-ornery-batman.html
http://becauseiwanttorememberitall.blogspot.com/2011/05/bedtime.html

4 comments:

  1. I actually did follow the links! Cute..he has his mouth open in almost all of the pics!! Did you notice that?!
    It all goes by so quickly..in a flash.
    pw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad to hear you say that at bookclub last night- "I can't remember simon in that naughty stage" because -every kid is-just in different ways. It gives me hope. It was good to hear you say that you were able to forget and move on. RR (aka...movin on blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time does go by too fast! Great thing you have this blog to help remember everything. Someday Simon & Cecie are going to love reading it :)

    ReplyDelete