Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cloth Baby

Cecilia's cord finally came off last weekend, so I figured I was free to test out my cloth diapers any time. I thought they would still be too big on her, but they are actually not much bigger than the size 1 disposable diapers I have. In other words, no more excuses to wait!

This is what it looks like on the smallest setting, ready to wear. Not your mom's cloth diaper!

And here it is opened up. There is a "soaker" that gets stuffed in the middle from the back before use, then the whole thing gets washed.

I got it all positioned and just about closed at the top when her familiar poop shriek rang in my ears. So my first try at a cloth diaper very quickly turned into my first try at changing a poopy cloth diaper. Luckily (for me, not for her...ouch) it was a only few nuggets so the clean up was a breeze. I got her into a fresh one and we were on our way.

Chica needs some lotion!

As you can see, it goes on just like a regular diaper.

We started on Monday afternoon and here we are on Thursday afternoon...so far so good. We've used them exclusively except at night because I'm not confident yet that the cloth diapers will hold as well for longer stretches. I also decided to use disposable at my Grandma's this morning since my wet bag was in need of a wash...I've since ordered another one so I don't have to worry about that. I know we will continue to use disposables occasionally, I'm just not sure what "occasionally" will come to mean.

I'm glad a couple of my green friends got me thinking about this...it's turning out to be a relatively easy way to save money and a lot of garbage. I'm just hoping it stays easy. After all, we're only a few days in!

--

And this is just because she is so freaking pretty...

2 comments:

  1. Are those Bum Genius? That's what I used. Just make sure they are tight around the legs or she will have lots of wet, poopy clothes. Love that you are using cloth. We made it almost a year. Oxy worked great to soak the poopy inserts. JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you! That is something I only thought about. Yay for going green! Keep us updated.

    Sarah

    Ps. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete