Friday, November 2, 2012

Nine Months

The last week or two Cecilia has been a little bit of a handful...she's getting her top two teeth in and has been fighting a cold complete with a cough and gallons of boogers pouring out of her nose. This made her a little crank pot. It seemed like she felt her life wasn't complete at any given moment unless she was b----ing about something, so b---- she did. I couldn't blame her really, but I was very (VERY) grateful that she napped a lot through all of this. I'm pleased to report that she is now back to her normal self. She is still a little booger face, but she is a generally happy little booger face again.

So she entered her 9th month with a smile....


Speaking of smiles, she's still pretty stingy with them. There's a new Walmart that opened up by my house and we went to check it out. There was a barbershop quartet that serenaded her with a lullaby and she literally just stared at them with this stone cold look on her face. My friend said, "it's like she's thinking I could do that in my sleep." Yeah, you're going to have to try harder than a song to get her to crack a smile for you. She's been like this since the beginning. She will smile for people she knows well, but best of luck to you if she doesn't. You're most likely to get a scowl or at best a blank stare. This is the first real personality trait I can find in her and I wonder how (or if) it will translate as an older child and adult.


We're still a ways out from first steps, but she is definitely getting more balanced on her feet. She used to tumble backwards if she held onto a toy with both hands while standing at the table, but now that doesn't seem to be a problem and she'll even let go completely and balance on her own for a few seconds every so often. She can maneuver around table corners, get back down to the floor from a stand and walk from thing to thing as long as they are close enough together. She still crashes sometimes, but they are getting fewer and farther between thank goodness!



She is getting more and more consistent with naps and can tolerate life if she only takes one a day, which gives us a little more freedom in the morning. I can usually count on at least one 2 hour nap during the day, so hopefully that continues on indefinitely. Mama likes nap time.


She's seems to be over being spoon fed; when I try to feed her anything with a spoon she just doesn't seem to care about it, but if I put the same thing on her tray she will try to get every last morsel into her mouth. I am going to make a concerted effort to start giving her three meals a day to help her start transitioning into eating like a normal person. I was supposed to start with breakfast today, but my kitchen was really cold so snuggling up with a bottle by the fire seemed like much more fun. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe...


When I go get her in the morning or after a nap she is always standing in the same corner. Usually she's pretty angry at this point, but she stops crying immediately upon seeing me. When we walk downstairs I hold her on my left hip so her right arm is behind me and her left arm is sticking out straight ahead, leading the way. Just seems like something she'll stop doing one day so I thought it was worth mentioning.


I remember when I posted her 7 month update I said she was waving hi and bye-bye, which was true. She would take her little hand and open and close it. She did that for about a week and then stopped cold, making me feel like a liar. She has, however, remembered how to do it and now waves her whole arm. She will also do "so big" if I'm holding her hands, but if I let go she just looks at me and smiles (maybe it's like an Ouija board and I don't think I'm moving her arms, but the vibrations in my pulse are? ha).


Her new favorite thing to play is "empty this thing." She loves to take our little toy basket and remove every item, then maybe put a couple back so that she can remove them once again. The way she sits on her knees to play that game makes me want to cry a little. This is such a big kid thing to do and such a big kid way to sit.


I think she has gotten cuter some how in the past month, though I don't know how that could be. I just look at her little face and sometimes can't believe how beautiful she is. I wonder if her birth mother thinks she's as stunning as I do? An interesting thought to me.


Nine months. It's been nine amazing months and she has completed me in a way I will never be able to express to her or anyone else. It still kills me when people say how lucky she is because they have it so terribly backwards! Seriously, look at that face and tell me Bryan and I aren't the lucky ones.

{9 month stats: 29.5 inches long - 97.8th percentile; 20 pounds, 2 ounces - 77.8th percentile}

0 comments:

Post a Comment