Friday, September 28, 2012

A little of this, a little of that...

Tonight Cecilia fell asleep in the car; I carried her in and she stayed sound asleep. There is something so wonderful about carrying a big sleeping baby. The bigger they are the sweeter it is, probably because the bigger they are the less often this happens. But tonight it happened, and I walked extra slowly from the car to the house and up to her room.

Today Simon wondered why it's called a forehead when you only have one head. Good question, son.

I've been itching to do something with Cecilia's hair lately. It's getting really long (several inches when pulled straight) and I wanted to do something other than put a headband in it. So I put my brave hat on, put her in her high chair with many many puffs and 30 minutes later we had a mini masterpiece. Okay so maybe it's not earth shattering, but I am a very proud vanilla mom right now :)




I have hopes that this style will stay in good shape for at least a few days. I also tried puffs this week and they weren't tough enough for this little lady, but they were worth a shot!



Simon is really into screens lately. I have to make sure to pay close attention to how much of his day is spent staring at said screens. Sometimes he steals my phone and hides in the toy room until I notice...we're working on that.

I don't really love little girl jammies. I want to buy her little boy ones because I think they are so much cuter (barring the leopard ones from Auntie Al).

Tomorrow morning we have book club at a restaurant. I am really looking forward to this!! We also have two birthday parties later in the day; Simon is stoked. I told him he could pick something from the dollar section at Target today and he picked a pack of glow in the dark spiders. He has been obsessing about handing them out at Lily's party and made sure he had enough for all the kids. I thought this was quite thoughtful.

If you haven't been introduced to Momastery yet, I suggest you check it out. Yesterday she introduced me to a charity that helps young adults who have aged out of the foster care system (in other words, they turned 18 and are subsequently on their own in every sense). You can buy them things they need, donate money, help them find jobs, just plain offer them support in a variety of ways. This spoke to me. Cecilia could have so easily been a child in foster care. Her birth mother chose a more stable path for her thank God, but it really could have been. Eighteen years from now, Cecilia could have been left to her own devices with no family, no support, no nothing. She would have deserved help and love and to know that someone really cared about her. It makes me so sad to think that there are other people who started life just like her, and through no fault of their own had a horribly rocky life and then were expected to be fully independent, functioning members of society come eighteen. They could use some help. Check it out. It may not speak to you like it did to me, but it's worth a click.

It's getting late and I'm starting to feel pensive....I should go to bed, this post has gotten long enough. I will leave you with Simon eating a banana (in an outfit he picked out himself, can you tell?).


1 comment:

  1. I'm very impressed with your vanilla mama skills! That child doesn't sit still, I'm sure it wasn't easy :) And I will definitely check out that website. Cecie's birth mom made the best decision ever for her. I really admire her strength to do this and that you & Bryan recognize that and embrace it all! And, Simon has got some style!

    AG

    ReplyDelete