Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eight Months

Cecilia napped for about 20 minutes this afternoon. Bad form. She is only eight months old, however, so sleep was going to find her whether she wanted it to or not. One minute she was jumping and the next...



About 45 minutes later we heard her start jumping again...it was like she woke up, realized where she was and wondered why she had stopped jumping in the first place. Love her.

--

Writing monthly updates on my little one is turning out to be a pretty awesome way to spend some of my time. I went back and read what Cecilia was like as a 7 month old and I love that I can get a clear glimpse into what life was like a measly month ago and see how it's changed (or hasn't, in a few cases).

There have been a handful of major changes since last month, one being that she can now feed herself little bits of food. I was saying last month that I looked forward to this stage and here were are!


The only problem is she eats them so fast that you have to be armed and ready to replenish her supply as needed or else. If she finds her tray empty she yells and slams her hands on the tray until she gets what she wants. We are working on teaching her "more" in sign language...much more civilized.


The other major change is with her mobility. She has retired the army crawl for the much cooler (and yet more traditional) crawl on the hands and knees.


This change seemed to naturally lead to pulling herself up on furniture and shuffling her little feet so as to get from one end of the table to the other. Walking along furniture is slooow right now, but it's amazing how much more adept she has gotten at this in just a handful of days.


One thing she has yet to conquer is playing with a toy while standing. Sometimes she will use both hands to put a toy in her mouth and down she goes....I do a lot of hovering when she is on the loose.


This improvement in overall body control has forced me to adjust the way I bathe her and change her. Bathing has actually gotten easier (HOORAY!!). She sits up on her own so she can just go wild splashing whilst I clean her and wash her hair (you have no idea what a project it is to wash this kid's hair).


Changing her clothes or diaper on the other hand has become nothing short of dreadful. I often find myself putting one leg over her chest to immobilize her. Trust me, it's necessary.


As I mentioned, a few things about little C have not actually changed much at all in the past month. She is still enamored with her brother. She still sleeps well at night and is somewhat sorta kinda consistent with naps (jumparoo nap excluded). She still laughs like crazy when I tickle her by her collar bone. She still eats a bottle every 3 hours like clockwork. She still gives 90% of new faces a dead stare and refuses to smile (and even some familiar ones...Tiffany). She still generally dislikes to sit up because there is way too much to explore. I got a rare shot of her doing just this with a toy the other day...


More than anything, she continues to be a delight (even when she is causing trouble). Love her to bits. I wonder what month eight will bring!

0 comments:

Post a Comment