Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Oh, Glee...

Let me get you up to speed on a little show you may have heard of called "Glee." (Trust me, I have a point.)

In seasons past, a popular gal named Quinn got knocked up by a school bad boy named Puck. Meanwhile, the talented Rachel, an adoptee of two gay men who have yet to appear on the show, felt driven to learn more about her birth mother. Her birth mother, coincidentally, turned out to be the leader of a rival glee club. Keeping up? Her birth mother was not ready to raise a child when Rachel was born, but now 16 or so years later her biological clock was ticking. Welcome back, Quinn and Puck. They gave their baby up for adoption to Rachel's birth mother. Everyone is, for lack of a better term, happy.

Cue up the new season. Everyone is still happy except for the lovely Quinn, who at the end of last night's show vowed to get her baby back and announced that SHE was the baby's mother and no little piece of paper could change that fact.

Who would have thought an adoptive parent's worst nightmare would be a plot line on Glee? I for one, did not. I will continue to watch it all unfold and hope that it shows the strength of that "little piece of paper" and what "mom" really means. Based on how realistic the show has been thus far, though, I'm not sure I see that happening....

Gotta love Fall TV :)




2 comments:

  1. I KNOW! I was so angry after that episode! I seriously considered writing to Fox to complain, but I also thought (hoped) that the plot line would play out the "right" way. Plus, at least in my experience, the birth mother does NOT all of a sudden have all this remorse after 15 months. Quite the opposite - for us it really does seem to have been "out of sight, out of mind" as we hear from her less and less as time goes on. GRRR!

    -JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Through the whole show I was confused ...I thought that the glee teacher's ex adopted the baby...so I was so confused by that I didn't think about your point. The show pushes the envelope on many issues. I am often uncomfortable, in a bad way, with how they approach many topics.

    ReplyDelete