Monday, August 27, 2012

30 Days

Over the past year or so I have been trying to clean up. And while in some ways this does mean clean in the traditional sense (hello, weekly chore chart), mostly I mean cleaning up our food, the products we use day to day, the amount of garbage we produce, staying off the crack, etc.

I've made some good strides, but there's always room for improvement. There are two areas in my life that definitely need some TLC. Making formal announcements never really motivates me to stick with something, but maybe promising regular updates will?

Once upon a time, this was me:


Granted, the thumbs up was completely and utterly false as I felt like I had a thousand daggers in my thighs at this point, but there I was somewhere between 20 and 26.2 miles still able to fake a smile. On that day almost three years ago, the idea of running 10 miles was literally a treat because it was like noooothing. Nowadays, running 4 miles (with a pace much slower than on marathon day) feels like almost more than I can handle.

See my point yet? I need to clean up my act and prioritize exercising again. I'm not talking about getting back into marathon or even half marathon shape...I don't have the desire at all right now. I'm talking about getting 30-60 minutes of exercise in every single day. There's no excuse not to (despite my laundry list of excuses I can spout off like nobody's business), and I want to feel like I did three years ago...even to feel like a shadow of that person would be a success in my book.

So there is one of two. Exercise.

Two of two is something that will literally take zero minutes of my day to accomplish, but might actually be harder:



Mama likes her coffee.

Not only do I like coffee every day, but I like it packed full of flavored creamer. I calculated it out once and one or two cups of Theresa Coffee is basically equivalent to drinking a can of regular soda. Can we say empty calories? Plus I have chronic heartburn and I don't think anyone has ever said coffee is actually good for that.

This is a real addiction, though. Like, double-check-the-fridge-every-night-and-send-Bryan-out-to-buy-more-creamer-at-10pm-so-I-can-make-sure-to-have-a-perfect-cup-in-the-morning kind of addiction. Like already-thought-about-making-sure-to-remember-my-creamer-on-our-girls-weekend-that's-over-a-month-away kind of addiction. You get the idea.

So there you have it. Two things in my life that I want to clean up. I heard somewhere that it takes 30 days to make or break a habit, so I've got my sights set on September 27th. I'm hoping that by the time that day rolls around, getting up and hitting the gym instead of pounding my first cup of coffee will feel natural.

I'll keep you posted! I know nobody will really be holding their breath waiting for an update, but you're going to get them anyways :)

3 comments:

  1. you were REALLLL honest in here. i didn't realize your coffee (creamer) addiction was so severe. hang in there. i'm proud of you for making some committments to yourself. as a mama, it's hard to do sometimes. good for you. the coach in me, though, says "start slow." remember to make goals realistic and objective. think about starting with the 30 min, 5x/week goal which is recommended by american heart association for healthy heart and lungs and work up! that's my two cents. I'm just proud of you..you 31 year old you!
    pw

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved this post. let me see a little more into T...not just the "mom" side of you. i hope you are successful..i'm rooting for you. i need to do this as well but maybe give up something else since i dont do coffee or creamer. haha. i WANT updates. rr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama loves coffee....hehe :) Keep on drinking it!!!!!!!

    AG

    ReplyDelete