Saturday, August 18, 2012

Agreeable

I've posted about this before and karma came back to bite me, but it's worth mentioning again. Simon has been pretty great lately. He's been generally agreeable, polite, even tempered and even eating well. He's quiet when Cecie's sleeping, cleans up his messes when asked and accepts no for an answer (this is a big one).


He's by no means perfect and still finds himself in time outs for various reasons (some days much more than others), but most of the time all I need to do is calmly say, "That wasn't a good choice, you need to go take a time out" and he'll walk right over the to the step. He usually cries about it, but knows that all he has to really do is calm down and apologize and it's all over so it doesn't typically last too long.


I can see why people say that having kids in grade school are the glory years. Kids that age are very independent, are generally well-behaved and still think Mom and Dad are amazing. I don't want to say I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, because the ride getting to this point has been wonderful and fun...not exactly a tunnel...but the tide has been slowly turning for a while now and it continues to just get less and less challenging as he gets older.


I wish there was a word other than "love" to express how you feel about your child, because saying I love him just doesn't say enough.


And to really prove he's growing up, he resisted the GIANT urge to pull the trigger and spray me with water. Phew :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for this age. I keep wondering if I'll have to yell at Eli about the same things forever ...so you give me hope that with time....old battles will fade! Rr

    ReplyDelete