Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Joy

Bubbles, dandelions, worms, swings, chocolate milk, colored eggs, etc. These are all things that will elicit the same response in Simon and presumably most other kids: pure joy. Only children can do this. Only children can look at something ordinary and genuinely find it extraordinary.

So it's really quite a scene when a kid is witness to something that you actually don't see every day. Today we went to Kohl's with Grandma Vivian and on our way out Simon saw a rock that was shaped funny. When he went to pick it up, the rock jumped:


This provided him with so much entertainment. He would touch it, the frog would jump, and he would shriek with delight. This went on about 15 times before I said it was time to go. I should have recorded it to video rather than just taking a picture of the frog because the whole scene was highly amusing.

It just made me appreciate how kids are so easily and thoroughly entertained and it made me excited about getting to go through it all again....then we went to Target later in the afternoon and I thought, "Seriously, this kid is being so (explicative) annoying. I really don't need to go through it all again." Oh, the ups and downs of motherhood :)

2 comments:

  1. i agree with you. nothing compares to their joy. and let me tell you...going through it all over again, surprises and delights you all over again!!
    pw

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! It's the best when the excitement of our kids rubs off on us. I find myself appreciating lots of things I never did before...especially things like trains, bugs, and tractors

    ReplyDelete