Monday, May 16, 2011

The Abyss

There's a fabulous room in our house that has french doors, tons of windows and built-in bookshelves. When we first bought the house, Bryan fancied this room would be his office...his study...his library...his anything but this:


I've been known to refer to this room as "The Abyss" because often times there is literally no walking room and it feels like a black hole of toys. Kids go in there and trip on things. Babies aren't even allowed in there. Sometimes it gets so bad that when toys trickle into the rest of the house I will literally just throw them in there, not even trying to get them into a container.

I had the idea once that I should have Simon help me clean it up before bed every day, but we all know how much I already dread bedtime and hell if I'm going to add one more thing to that routine. Honestly, I'm all about teaching lessons and blah blah blah but I'm also all about picking your battles. This room is just not a battle I'm going to pick.

So what's a girl to do? Today I decided to treat myself to Bossypants by Tina Fey (yes, the pregnant lady) from audible.com, got it loaded onto my iPhone and got to work. It was all the motivation I needed:


Now I just have to keep Simon and/or any other children from going in there and I'll be all set :)

(As a side note, when Simon woke from his nap to a clean toy room, he started laughing and said with complete and utter excitement, "IT'S CLEAN!!")

1 comment:

  1. amazing. doesn't it feel good? let me know how long it lasts. i was so excited to see the messy room b/c I feel like we let our whole house get that way :) that IS an amazing room and I bet B will get it as "his" room 15 years from now. RR

    ReplyDelete