Saturday, May 7, 2011

Momma's Day

Every Mother's Day I reflect on how much I hated my first one as a "mother." Why the quotes you ask? I was technically just barely pregnant with Simon, but it wasn't looking good. Mother's Day was smack dab in between two major phone calls. First was the call from the nurse saying it was not a viable pregnancy. Another miscarriage. About a week and a miracle later I got another call that changed everything....that little bean was growing.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have bitterly shredded and tossed the first Mother's Day card I ever received (it was from my mother-in-law who sent it before the first aforementioned call). I also shouldn't have gone to church that day. I thought I would never get through the long moment when all the mothers stood, while I sat fighting back tears because I couldn't join them.

While I am so beyond grateful that I can stand with those mothers now, I still feel for those who were in my shoes all those years ago. Mother's Day is a day for me to remember how lucky I am and to say extra prayers for everyone who wants to join me but is having trouble getting there. I encourage you to do the same...it can't hurt :)

I guess he's been dressing "creatively" for a while...this was from when he was maybe 2.

0 comments:

Post a Comment