Saturday, October 20, 2012

It Begins.

The Halloween season has officially begun. There is a lot of fall fun to be had still, but we got lots in this weekend starting with a visit to a pumpkin farm/apple orchard with Simon's class on Friday.

The most unexpected part of the trip was a talking Johnny Appleseed. Picture a mannequin from the Gap in an old abandoned barn. Then extend its arms out to the sides like a very uncomfortable scarecrow and dress it like a farmer with a cooking pot on his head. Then slide the door to the barn closed so it's nice and dark. Then (with a 75 year old contraption) project the image of a face onto the mannequin's face and have it talk to a bunch of kids. I'm completely confident you have no idea what I am talking about right now, but trust me, it was creepy (and by creepy I actually mean pretty cool). If you are confused and really want to picture what I'm talking about, I found a link to something similar on youtube because I'm just that nice.

It was a rainy day so I didn't want to risk getting my nice camera wet, but my iPhone did a great job capturing some of the day (outside of the weirdo barn).


 We brought this bag to carry our pumpkin in and it was a little too big for him to carry over the shoulder so I suggested wearing it like a backpack, which also didn't work. Next thing I knew he put it around his neck and was on his way. I love the way his little mind thinks, which is apparently much better than mine. Not sure if I should be proud of him or scared for myself. 

Here he is with his teeny tiny little pumpkin, gazing at the forbidden field of big pumpkins with longing...


At one point, another mom asked me to take a picture of her and her son, and I said, "Great idea! Can you do the same for us?" So I bent down to get cozy with Simon and he decided it would be a good time to lean dead weight onto me and stop standing independently. This did not work well. We both almost toppled right over...maybe that was his intention because he thought it would get a laugh? 


Much to my chagrin he had his eyes closed in the picture so I told him to stand like a normal human (in so many words) and we tried a second time, but he did the same thing. With more gusto this time. Real funny, kid. Reallll funny. Thankfully we did not fall over, but it was close...




When walking back to the bus, this little girl was struggling to carry her pumpkin and apples so I offered to help (you caught me, she reminded me of Cecie so I paid her a little extra attention...sue me). But Simon, being the chivalrous gentlemen that he is, wouldn't have it. He would have me carry his bag without a second thought, but not hers. He wanted to be the one to help her so he asked me for her bag and carried it all the way to the bus. Cutest. Thing. Ever.


The Halloween fun continued this weekend with a party on Saturday. We all dressed up (not pictured sadly) and found ourselves at the coolest Halloween party ever. They had a real fortune teller, fog machines, huge pieces of spooky artwork on the walls, a glass of eyeballs on the shelf, a giant spread of food and an even bigger selection of drinks at the bar in their basement (which Bryan familiarized himself with right away). There were decorations everywhere and everyone was dressed up, adults and kids alike. Seriously, though, a fortune teller. Who does that for a party? It was pretty amazing.

Also, this has nothing to do with Halloween. I just think this gal is pretty cute...

2 comments:

  1. That little girl in Simon's class does look like Cecie! I would have favored her more too ;) And Simon is such a gentleman, how nice! I'm excited to see them all dressed up for Halloween!

    AG

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! I love these blogs. Write a book Theresa, I'm telling you, write!
    You have a gift.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete