Thursday, October 11, 2012

You're sliding into first & you feel a little burst...

Diarrhea.

I've seen a lot of diarrhea 'round these parts this week. A lot contained to diapers, but also a lot in jammies, pant legs, onesies and on the backs of baby knees. Poop isn't supposed to be at the back of anyone's knees. Ever. But there I've been, wiping juicy poo off the backs of Cecie's knees over and over again. In case you couldn't visualize it properly, I thought about taking a picture but then figured poo would be on the backs of her knees and on the front of my camera so I nixed that idea.

I know, I know...you're disappointed.

Okay, so I didn't really think about photographing my baby's diarrhea until I just wrote it, but it's a funny thought. If you like poop jokes, that is. Which I do. (Sorry Raina.)

ANYWAY...

C is upstairs in her crib. Just a-crying away. Not sleeping. Probably with shit down to her ankles. A girl can hope, right?

So what do you do when your kid gets the trots? How long do you wait to call the doctor? Do you wait for a call back or just make an appointment? Do you let her cry herself to sleep knowing she desperately needs to nap or do let her fight sleep in your arms for (what would feel like an) eternity because her tummy probably doesn't feel great?

These questions kind of have me thinking because the truth is, while I might wonder what you would do in my situation, your answer probably won't influence me too much one way or the other. No matter what, I'm going to do what I think is right for my daughter even if you might disagree.

I saw an article today called "10 Great Ways to be an Unhappy Mom." One of the points was to compare yourself to other mothers (if you want to be unhappy that is). I think we all do this. I know I do, but at the same time I try to do what feels right as Simon and Cecie's mother. I'll ask what other moms do and get inspired for sure, but when it boils down to it I have to live with my choices and I need to be happy with them.

So. Here are some things that I do and don't do around here. I'm not perfect (whatever that is), but I'm comfortable with it. It works for us. I wonder what your list would look like, but mostly I hope you are happy with your very own list however it looks.

{Most of these will be about Simon, because he is the one that requires more actual parenting outside of what to do when the sharts just won't quit.}

I do let Simon go hog wild with glue and scissors.
I don't do organized craft projects with him.
I do let him put his face in front of a screen for 90 minutes a day.
I don't care when he does it.
I do give him a bath twice a week or so. 
I don't do this on a schedule. He might miss a day and I'd have no idea.
I don't make him clean his toy room every day.
I do make him pick up his costumes and stuffed animals when I decide it's time to clean up.
I don't let him dictate what I make for dinner.
I do make him try everything on his plate. It IS a daily battle.
I don't play with him every single time he asks.
I do play with him.
I don't read 14 books a day to him.
I do read to him every day.
I don't tolerate hitting, kicking, etc.
I do tolerate his smart ass mouth because I think it's funny and I like a kid with spunk.
I don't tolerate him being disrespectful.
I do realize this is a fine line.
I do give him time outs or breaks.
I don't set a timer for them.
I don't get up with him in the morning.
I do tuck him in at night. Unless Bryan does it, which I do not complain about.
I do think "shut the f*#% up" in my head when they won't shut the f*#% up.
I don't tell them to shut the f*#% up out loud.
I do get short with Simon when Cecie is demanding my attention.
I don't feel great about that one. 
I do realize raising kids is a work in progress...

I'm sure I could go on and on, but for now this is all I've got. Cecie did eventually fall asleep and Simon gets off the bus in 20 minutes, so I should probably hunker down and clean something or get ready for date night. Louis CK here we come! :)

1 comment:

  1. You're a great mother & they are so lucky to have you! I like this one :) Poor Cecie & her poopy poops! She had a blow out with us the other day....one time was enough for me (and mom was really the one who did all of the clean up!).

    AG

    ReplyDelete