Monday, October 8, 2012

Nap Wars and Lost Voices

This weekend I went to the Lake Geneva area with some friends, and you want to know what the best part was? Knowing that whether Cecilia napped or not was someone else's problem (sorry, Bryan). By about noon on Sunday, however, it was my problem once again. As I sit here and type, it continues to be my problem and I can't help but wonder when this charade will be over and we'll be onto the next stage.

When Simon first started school she was napping almost the whole time he was gone. She went down easy and for long stretches - it was amazing. She learned to stand shortly thereafter and it has ruined my life (and this is only a slight dramatization).

Her game is to lay quietly for a few minutes so I'm fooled into believing she's asleep, then I get absorbed into something and BAM she's standing there screaming. I go up, nuk her, lay her down and leave. Then they cycle repeats. Over and over. And over. Yesterday this went on for an hour and a half and she finally did sleep for about 30 minutes. Pathetic.

Right now it sounds as though she is asleep; I'm telling myself she actually is and I'm averting my eyes from the video monitor. Maybe if I whine enough she will stay asleep? I'm currently testing that theory and it seems to be working.

This was taken a month or two ago, but I wanted to give you a glimpse into what I look at (ehem, obsess over) every day :)

In other news, Simon lost his voice a bit. He went through a voice change when he was just over three and now he seems to have gone through another change, although this time I'm assuming (hoping) it's just from having a cold or is a very mild case of laryngitis and nothing more serious. With his voice teetering in and out like that, I just kept thinking about what a gift it is to hear what is going on in his little brain every day....

2 comments:

  1. I love how she smiles the second Simon just starts talking to her. So cute :) Good luck with the naps!

    AG

    ReplyDelete
  2. having nap wars w hughie too. you're not a mom unless you are at war or on the battlefield over SOMETHING right?? grrrr rr

    ReplyDelete