Sunday, January 15, 2012

Four years ago, January 15th

I woke up in the morning after staying up until the wee hours with unproductive contractions to a pain free abdomen. Where was the pain? I wanted it back! But, alas, the bun was still in the oven and now I was just extra tired from being up half the night.

I decided to go mall walking that day with my sister to try to jiggle him out. Every few steps I had to stop and literally lift my belly up because the weight of the baby was sending shooting pains through my cervix. It actually just made us both laugh.

Later that evening around 6pm I remember talking to my father-in-law about the night before and how the contractions went away. While we were on on the phone I started noticing the familiar tightness coming and going and said I thought they might be making a comeback. It was all just like the day before, though, so I didn't get my hopes up. We just went to bed at a normal hour and tried to wait it out.

Midnight came along and sleep was no longer an option. We were laying in bed timing contractions with my old cell phone for a while. Bryan kept making me laugh about who knows what, which made the contractions more challenging and more fun at the same time somehow. Eventually I got up to call the doctor to get her advice, which was something on the lines of "head to the hospital once they are 5 minutes apart for an hour." We were already at that point, but I was still unconvinced this was the real deal (I had a ridiculous, but very real phobia of being sent home from the hospital with false labor). Once I got up and started moving around, they started getting much more intense and much closer together, though. I also started bleeding (sorry, tmi) and got what I thought were the chills...I was perfectly warm, but shaking uncontrollably for a while.

All this, and still I was unsure...

--

Today we celebrated Simon's birthday with family, though tomorrow it's the actual day (a confusing concept for this little guy). He was in such a good mood all morning and everything was making him wiggle with excitement. He said, "I love birthdays...especially when it's mine!"

More on his party tomorrow...I'm too exhausted to finish and the birthday boy is upstairs throwing a fit and not sleeping. Thank you fun, sugar, gifts and partying for this extra horrible bedtime tonight!

0 comments:

Post a Comment